Parish Church S. Maria Assunta in Mergozzo

Inaugurated in 1610, it stands on the site of the pre-existing Romanesque church, a parish church in medieval times, as testified by a document from 1133. The bell tower, which retains the Romanesque style in its lower part, was raised in 1661 to a height of 38 metres. The statue of the Virgin of the Assumption flanked by angels dominates the façade of the church. The churchyard, laid out in 1786, is enclosed between two granite balustrades, which limit the wide staircase.

The interior has three naves divided by six serizzo columns. The ceiling has ribbed vaults frescoed with floral motifs. On the right aisle are: the chapel dedicated to St. Charles, an olive wood cross with mother-of-pearl dating back to the 18th century and the altarpiece dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary painted by the Novara painter Carolus Canis in 1623. The canvas depicts the Virgin with St. Catherine and St. Dominic at her sides and at her feet the image of the village of Mergozzo with the elm tree.

In the centre: polychrome marble altar and balustrade and the 19th-century statue of the Virgin who came to Mergozzo across the lake on 25 July 1875. On the left aisle: the polychrome marble baptistery closed by a gate applied in 1717, the Baroque confessional, the wooden pulpit dating back to 1629 and the chapel with the wooden statue of St. Anthony of Padua, co-patron of the parish. In 1821, the thirteen chapels of the Stations of the Cross, frescoed by Giovan Battista Ronchelli from Varese, were erected, crowning the structure of the church.


(Religious ceremony)
Address: Via Roma – 28802 Mergozzo (VB)

Distretto Turistico dei Laghi
Tel: +39 0323 30416