Monumental church of San Gaudenzio in Baceno
The Church of San Gaudenzio in Baceno is undoubtedly one of the religious symbols of the entire Ossola Valley, and not only. Documents testifying to the existence of a primitive chapel date back to the 11th century: the rectangular building was located in place of the current presbytery. The Church of San Gaudenzio, built in Lombard Romanesque style, was dedicated to the first bishop of Novara.
The main extension is to be dated between the 12th and 13th centuries, while in 1326 the cleric Signebaldo had the Chapel of the Madonna built, located at the end of the current nave, which still houses the splendid frescoes dedicated to the life of the Madonna, although they were damaged in the 18th century during some works.
Following the Council of Trent, the Church of San Gaudenzio di Baceno was subject to new interventions that modified its structure, while the square-based bell tower, thirty-one metres high, was built in 1522-23. The splendid Romanesque façade is entirely in stone and on its right side one can admire a gigantic St Christopher painted in 1542. The Monumental Church of San Gaudenzio in Baceno at night is at its best, thanks to a recent work of implementation of the lighting points that further enhance its most relevant architectural aspects.
Address: Via Guglielmo Marconi 51 – 28861 Baceno (VB)
Tel: +39 0323 30416
December 23, 2022